Show that you have the knowledge to make a difference in manufacturing!
Earning your Certified Manufacturing Technologist (CMfgT) requires an investment of time and energy that will reap dividends throughout your career.
The CMfgT is an entry-level certification that benefits both new manufacturing engineers and experienced manufacturing engineers without other credentials. In pursuing a CMfgT certification, a minimum of four years combined manufacturing-related education and/or work experience is recommended.
|CERTIFIED MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGIST EXAM||ONLINE EXAM PRICING||PAPER & PENCIL EXAM PRICING|
|Nonmember College Student||$190||$220|
|SME Member Professional||$245||$275|
|College Student Member||$95||$125|
Process to Earn Your Certification
1: Assess your knowledge and experience
The Technical Body of Knowledge is an outline of topics covered on the certification exam. The Technical Competency Model describes the knowledge, skills, and abilities required by manufacturing professionals. It will help you better envision your role and evaluate your readiness for certification. The competency model provides additional information beyond the Technical Body of Knowledge.
2. Recommended Reading Material
Exam questions are based on specific recommended reading materials selected by knowledgeable and experienced individuals. (Please note that the exam is open book)
3. Optional Additional Preparation
- Technologist Self-Assessment: This online self-assessment evaluates your manufacturing knowledge and prepares you for the exam.
- Technologist Online Review Program: This online review program is comprised of more than 60 online classes mapped to the Body of Knowledge (PDF).
- Classroom Review Program: This collaborative, instructor-led review program helps solidify your understanding of the body of knowledge and key manufacturing concepts. It is an invaluable opportunity to prepare you for the exam and provide you with a foundation for completing the program.
4. Apply for the Exam, Schedule and Take the Exam
The Certified Manufacturing Technologist exam is offered in online and paper/pencil formats. You have one year to take the exam from the date you apply.
The Certified Manufacturing Technologist exam is a three-hour, open book and open notes exam. It consists of approximately 130 multiple-choice questions mapped to the Body of Knowledge. Exam questions are taken from the recommended reading materials.
To pass the exam, you need to score 60% or higher. After your exam is scored, you will receive official results by mail, which includes an Examination Analysis Report that provides a breakdown of your results by knowledge area. Upon passing the exam you will earn your Certified Manufacturing Technologist (CMfgT).
If you did not pass the exam, you can apply to retake the exam 30 days after you receive your exam results. Use the Examination Analysis Report (PDF) to focus on weaker knowledge areas to help prepare you for retaking the exam. A reduced exam fee is offered for retaking the exam.
You must submit your Proctor Form and Agreement to SME at least two weeks before your scheduled exam date.
Keeping the credentials you worked hard for is just as important as earning them. To ensure you stay on top of the latest advances, and maintain a strong competitive edge, you must recertify every three years to maintain your Certified Manufacturing Technologist (CMfgT).
- Body of Knowledge (PDF)
- Competency model (PDF)
- Recommended Reading
- Exam Preparation Tips
- Proctor Form and Agreement (PDF)
- Examination Analysis Report (PDF)