Learn the fundamentals of lean from a tactical perspective.
To achieve Lean Bronze, you are able to tactically implement lean to drive improvements and measurable results. You deploy and apply lean principles, concepts, methods, and tools within a work cell, work group, and/or value stream.
Process to Earn Your Certification
1: Assess your knowledge and experience
The Lean Bronze Essential Body of Work describes the baseline knowledge, skills, and abilities required by lean professionals and lays the groundwork for understanding and evaluating the Lean Bronze Certification requirements. It will help you better envision your role and evaluate your readiness for certification.
The Lean Bronze Blueprint provides additional information beyond the Lean Certification Body of Knowledge by going a step further and specifying relevant segments of the Body of Knowledge and providing additional details on the proficiency expected for Lean Bronze Certification.
- Body of Knowledge (PDF)
- Lean Bronze Essential Body of Work (PDF)
- Lean Bronze Blueprint (PDF)
- Lean Competency and Behavior Model (PDF)
2: Read the Core Reference Material
Exam questions are based on specific Core Reference Material selected by knowledgeable and experienced individuals.
The books listed below are included in the Core Reference Material Package.
- Gemba Kaizen: A Commonsense Approach to a Continuous Improvement Strategy Second Edition
- Lean Production Simplified: Plain-Language Guide to the World’s Most Powerful Production System
- The Toyota Way
- Purchase Core Reference Material Package
The Lean Bronze Certification book package and exam have been updated. Until June 1, 2021, you have the option of using the old book package and exam OR the new book package and exam. Please click here for more information.
3: Evaluate your lean knowledge
These resources can help you assess and evaluate your lean knowledge before you take the exam:
- Online Review Program: This online review program is comprised of eight classes mapped to the Body of Knowledge (PDF).
- Classroom Review Program: This collaborative, instructor-led review program helps solidify your understanding of the Body of Knowledge. It is an invaluable opportunity to prepare you for the exam and provide you with a foundation for completing the Lean Certification program.
4: Apply for the exam, schedule and take the exam
The Lean Bronze Certification exam is offered in online and paper/pencil formats. You have one year to take the exam from the date you apply.
The Lean Bronze Certification exam is a three hour, open book and open notes exam. It consists of approximately 165 multiple-choice questions mapped to the Body of Knowledge. Exam questions are taken from the Core Reference Materials.
You must submit your Proctor Form and Agreement to SME at least two weeks before your scheduled exam date.
To pass the exam, you need to score 75% or higher. After your exam is scored, you will receive official results by mail, which includes an Examination Analysis Report that provides a breakdown of your results by knowledge area.
Upon passing the exam you will earn your Lean Knowledge Certificate (not a certification) that serves as a base in your pursuit of Lean Bronze Certification. Your Lean Knowledge Certificate is valid for three years and is not renewable.
- Exam Preparation Tips
- Body of Knowledge (PDF)
- Core Reference Material Package
- Proctor Form and Agreement (PDF)
- Examination Analysis Report (PDF)
5: Submit your Lean Bronze Portfolio
To earn your Lean Bronze Certification, you must demonstrate your ability to apply lean principles and tools. This is accomplished through the development of your Lean Bronze Portfolio. You have three years from receiving your Lean Knowledge Certificate to submit your Portfolio, which must document and include:
- 80 hours of Education and Training Requirements
- Three tactical projects where specific lean principles and tools were applied (events, projects, activities)
- A reflection statement that captures your lean journey and what you have learned through the certification process.
You must have passed the Lean Bronze examination in order to submit your Bronze Portfolio. To submit your Portfolio, log into your SME Customer Account, or create a new account, in the upper right hand corner of the homepage (sme.org).
The Lean Bronze Portfolio Requirements and Forms (Lean Bronze Portfolio) has been updated as of January 8, 2018. All candidates applying after January 8, 2018 must use the updated form. Candidates who applied prior to January 8, 2018 and have previously downloaded an existing form will be permitted to submit the “old” form. If you are a candidate who applied prior to January 8, 2018 and did not download the “old” form, you must use the updated form.
- Lean Bronze Certification Portfolio (PDF)
- Code of Ethics (PDF)
- Education and Training Requirements (PDF)
- Portfolio Examples (PDF)
- Lean Bronze Certification Portfolio Information and Instructions (PDF)
- Preparing for Certification
- SME Customer Account Login
- Portfolio/Accomplishment Record Upload Instructions (PDF)
6: Plan your next step
Upon passing your Portfolio review you will earn your Lean Bronze Certification (LBC). During this time you may choose to pursue recertification or another certification rank. Your Lean Bronze Certification is valid for three years.
|ONLINE EXAM PRICING||BRONZE||SILVER||GOLD|
|SME Member and Partners (AME, Shingo Institute)||$439||$539||$639|
|PENCIL/PAPER EXAM PRICING||BRONZE||SILVER||GOLD|
|SME Member and Partners (AME, Shingo Institute)||$469||$569||$669|