AeroDef Manufacturing Poster Challenge
SME's AeroDef Manufacturing Poster Challenge is designed to foster interest and provide the aerospace and defense manufacturing engineering community with new perspectives and innovative ideas. The poster competition creates a forum for AeroDef attendees to share ideas with peers, gain visibility as a subject-matter expert and establish relationships within the industry. SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Jan. 15, 2018
The competition is open to registered students in their junior or senior year of their undergraduate program; graduate-level degree engineering programs; and early engineers and industry research professionals (under 35). Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students will need to provide their advisor’s contact information. Abstracts will be accepted from undergraduate students, graduate students and industry research professionals (under 35).
Posters must be relevant to the disciplines and content areas below. Posters presentations will explore current research may be based on actual case studies. Students are encouraged to submit a poster in the following areas (but not limited to these areas):
- Additive manufacturing/3D printing.
- Composites and advanced materials
- Industrial IoT.
- Automation, assembly and robotics.
- Precision machining and tooling.
- Finishing and coatings.
- Quality, measurement and inspection.
- Manufacturing engineering and engineering technology.
- Manufacturing engineering education.
Students must provide a description of the design along with supporting figures and photographs. Poster presentations will be judged on a number of factors, including:
- Integrity of analysis.
- Impact on manufacturing cost, quality or other manufacturing and performance requirements.
- Quality of the presentation (timeliness, graphics, clarity, spelling and grammar).
- Poster display — visual representation.
- Posters for presentation will be limited to a maximum of eight feet wide by four feet high (8’W x 4’H).
- Posters must be oriented and mounted horizontally.
- Poster presenters need to present a five-minute summary of their work to interested attendees and judges.
Prizes & Awards
The posters will be judged and there will be first a runner-up, second runner-up and overall winner. Cash prizes and awards, listed below (subject to the quality of the entries), will be presented at the annual AeroDef Manufacturing Awards Reception. Prizes include:
- First Prize – $750; Second Prize – $500; Third Prize – $250; awardees must be present at the Awards Reception to accept the prizes.
- A certificate of achievement.
- A complimentary, one-year SME membership.
- An SME logo gift.
- A recognition letter sent to the winner with a copy sent to the university advisor/educator.
- A recognition letter sent to a student newspaper/technical publication designated by the winner.