Board of Directors will take office in Jan. 2019
(SOUTHFIELD, Mich., Dec. 3, 2018) – SME, a manufacturing association promoting the interests of manufacturing industries, advanced manufacturing technologies and the development of the manufacturing workforce, has recognized several professionals assuming new leadership roles in the organization for 2019. These manufacturing professionals were recognized at the annual SME Installation and Awards Gala on Dec. 2.
Officers of SME are chosen by a nominating committee and selected by the SME Board of Directors. These directors are elected annually by the entire voting membership of the organization.
- Mark L. Michalski, MKS Instruments (retired), Wilmington, Massachusetts
- Susan M. Smyth, PhD, FSME, General Motors (retired), Warren, Michigan
- Michael D. Packer, FSME, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co., Fort Worth, Texas
- Dianne Chong, PhD, FSME, The Boeing Co. (retired), Seattle
- James W. Schlusemann, Prosperia International, Batavia, Illinois
SME also recognized its 2018 Class of Fellows, who are selected once a year from among the highest achievers of industry, academia and government, and nominated only by honorary, fellow, life or professional members of SME. Those selected as fellows have 20 years or more of manufacturing experience and expertise. They have contributed notably to the social, technological and educational benefit of manufacturing and the engineering profession.
- Satish T.S. Bukkapatnam, PhD, FSME, Rockwell International Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- Frank W. Gayle, ScD, FSME, Deputy Director, Advanced Manufacturing National Program Office, Office of Advanced Manufacturing, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Maryland
- Jack Hu, PhD, FSME, J. Reid and Polly Anderson Professor of Manufacturing and Vice President for Research, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Bernhard Karpuschewski, Dr.-Ing., FSME, Professor and Director, Leibniz IWT University of Bremen, Bremen, Germany
- Ming C. Leu, PhD, FSME, Keith and Pat Bailey Distinguished Professor, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, Missouri
- Hamid R. Parsaei, PhD, FSME, PE, Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- John D. Russell, DSc, FSME, Technical Director, Manufacturing and Industrial Technologies Division, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
SME connects manufacturing professionals, academia and communities, sharing knowledge and resources to build inspired, educated and prosperous manufacturers and enterprises. With more than 85 years of experience and expertise in events, media, membership, training and development, and also through an education foundation, SME is committed to promoting manufacturing technology, developing a skilled workforce and attracting future generations to advance manufacturing. Learn more at sme.org, follow @SME_MFG on Twitter or facebook.com/SMEmfg.