This award is offered to student chapter faculty advisors in recognition of their service to SME and their student chapter(s) in advancing manufacturing knowledge, education and SME's vision/mission/purpose.
- Provide professional development support in the form of a monetary award for current student chapter faculty advisors. Award to be used for professional development or to support the student chapter activities.
- Acknowledge and reward those who demonstrate commitment to advancing SME's vision/mission/purpose.
- Highlight services and activities performed on behalf of SME.
- Recognize advancing professional growth of student chapter members.
Monetary award valued up to $2,000 and a recognition certificate.
Eligibility for Award
- Applicant must be an SME member.
- Applicant must be a current SME student chapter faculty advisor.
- Applicant must be an employee of the educational institution sponsoring the SME student chapter.
- Applicant's student chapter must be compliant with SME chapter requirements, i.e., submitted all the required forms and have a minimum of 10 active student members.
- Eligible for one award per calendar year.
- Complete the application form (MS WORD).
- Include a personal statement outlining your professional goals, contribution to the profession and SME student chapter.
- Include curriculum vitae. Use only the last three years (not to exceed three 8.5 x 11 in. pages — include all items relevant to SME activities.
- Applicant agrees to submit a final report within the next academic year explaining how the award helped his/her professional development and/or the growth of the student chapter.
Award Selection Criteria & Personal Statement
- Describe your activities and contributions toward advancing SME's vision/mission/purpose.
- Describe your service and support to your student chapter.
- How will this award benefit the growth and development of the SME student chapter?
- How will this award benefit your professional development?
- Personal Statement/Testimonial: How has your service to SME and the SME student chapter impacted your professional growth and/or your career?
All application materials must be received by SME NO LATER THAN THE CLOSE OF BUSINESS ON MAY 15. INCOMPLETE APPLICATION MATERIALS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. An acknowledgement email will be sent upon receipt of the application by SME.
Recipients will be notified of acceptance within 45 days after application deadline. Presentation of the award can be arranged by the local chapter, SME membership consultant (MCon) or SME staff at a designated SME event. Note: Applications not selected can be resubmitted for the next deadline of awards program.
Please direct applications and any questions to:
1000 Town Center, Suite 1910
Southfield, MI 48075
Membership: 800.733.4763 | 313.425.3000 | email@example.com
Recent Award Winners
Two Earn 2018 Distinguished Faculty Advisors Recognition
Distinguished Faculty Advisor Award Recipients
Fidan, Ismail, Tennessee Tech University S215 (2018)
Gallagher, Christopher, Olympic College S363 (2012)
Haapala, Karl, Oregon State University S019 (2016, 2012)
Harp, Spencer, Georgia Southern University S085 (2012)
Kandray, Daniel, The University of Akron S362 (2011)
Littell, Neil, Ohio University (2017)
Monroe, Ross, Edmonds Community College S357 (2011)
Nasseri, Simin, Southern Polytechnic State University S016 (2012)
Sanchez, L. Rafael, University of Colorado Denver S324 (2014)
Shirwaiker, Rohan, North Carolina State University S317 (2018)
Asiabanpour, Bahram, Texas State University (2017)
Choi, Hongseok, Clemson University S353 (2016)
Fidan, Ismail, Tennessee Tech University S215 (2016)
Asiabanpour, Bahram, Texas State University-San Marcos S147 (2011)
Chiappone, Sam, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute S141 (2014)
Harp, Spencer, Georgia Southern University S085 (2014)
Kumagai, Akihiko, California State University, Sacramento S211 (2014)
McKell, Eric, Brigham Young University S051 (2015, 2014)
Monroe, Ross, Edmonds Community College S357 (2014)
Orady, Elsayed A., University of Michigan-Dearborn S326 (2015)
Polastri, Patricia, Texas A&M University-Kingsville S264 (2015)
Nutter, Paul, Ohio Northern University S186 (2014)
Shirwaiker, Rohan, North Carolina State University S317 (2014)
Williams, Carl, University of Memphis S140 (2014)
Gallagher, Christopher, Olympic College S363 (2011)
Ghodsi, Reza, Central Connecticut State University (2017)
Ertekin, Yalcin, Drexel University (2017)
Chiappone, Sam, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute S141 (2013)
Vanderloop, Tom, Chippewa Valley Technical College S170 (2013)