A hands-on course that teaches students how to document and quantify material and information flow within their organizations. In today' global market, time is very important. The Value Stream Mapping techniques help everyone in the organization understand lead time. Lead time encompasses the total amount of time needed to convert raw material into a final product. Most organizations cannot separate the "total time" into manageable pieces. This class will guide the participant through the process used to capture and document the current material and information flows for a given process. Value Stream Mapping techniques allow a team of problem solvers to come together and SEE the door to door process exactly the same. Each participant will visit the Gemba (shop floor) and walk the door to door process. A standard set of icons will be taught and used during this session. A comprehensive case study is used to allow students to practice drawing value stream maps using the standard set of symbols and icons. Upon completion of the value stream maps, the participant will learn to look for strategic areas that could be improved. Each improvement idea will be analyzed for the impact to the lead time. After improvement ideas are identified, each participant will generate a future state map.
This course is intended for individuals in management and the shop floor who want to learn how to document a process and better communicate areas for improvement. It is a vital step in the stages of a lean transformation. It helps the organization more clearly define a direction in which to rally the problem-solving teams.
- Define value stream and how it relates to material and information flow.
- Show areas for improvement from the map.
- Draw a value stream map using a standard set of symbols.
- Develop current, ideal and future condition value stream maps.
- Create an value stream improvement plan.
- Walk the Gemba (shop floor) as a team and document the process.
- Learn standard icons and symbols used to define key process characteristics.
- Learn how to define lead time.
- Learn how to impact lead time.
- Study: developing current, ideal and future condition maps.
- Key points to consider when developing ideal and future condition maps.