Lean Certification is an evolutionary journey where your knowledge and experience work together to create a depth of expertise upon which you can keep building. It weaves innovative ways of thinking and doing business with real-world applications and results. Lean Certification not only helps you attain the knowledge, it validates it.
The Standard in Operational Excellence
The industry-leading Lean Certification program is the result of a partnership among three leading non-profit organizations that collectively set the standard for operational excellence and an improved workforce. The Lean Certification Alliance — Association for Manufacturing Excellence (AME), Shingo Institute, and SME — draws on their collective experience and the proven practices of thousands of individuals to provide continuous improvement practitioners in-depth access to the latest lean and continuous improvement thinking and best practices. The Alliance created and maintains the Lean Certification Program and offers high-quality training, education and other relevant resources to facilitate the continuous improvement journey.
Read our new white paper, "Lean In" to Continuous Improvement. Learn how Lean methodology and Lean Certification can support continuous improvement and long-term competitive success through the relentless pursuit of eliminating waste, overburden, and unevenness or irregularities.
Your Journey to Lean
Apply for Lean Certification at the rank most appropriate to your career, knowledge, and experience. Lean Bronze Certification focuses on the fundamentals of lean from a tactical perspective. Lean Silver Certification integrates your lean knowledge with leadership experience. And Lean Gold Certification focuses on the strategic transformation of an entire enterprise.
||DO I QUALIFY?
||REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTIFICATION
- Successfully applying tactical implementation within a work cell, work group, or value stream to drive improvement and show measurable results.
- Lean Bronze Certification exam
- Lean Bronze Portfolio including three tactical projects
- 80 Education/Training hours
- Leading teams
- Successfully applying lean thinking, processes, and techniques to value stream improvements
- Nurturing lean behaviors in others
- Two or more years of professional experience
- Lean Silver Certification exam
- Lean Silver Accomplishment Record
- 160 Education/Training hours including Mentoring and/or Coaching Activities
- Overseeing various improvement teams
- Driving changes that span multiple value streams
- Leading and coaching other leaders in the transformation process
- Demonstrated success in driving both lean organizational and human developmental efforts
- Five or more years professional experience
- Lean Gold Certification exam
- Lean Gold Accomplishment Record
- 240 Education/Training hours including Mentoring and/or Coaching Activities
- Gold Peer Interview
The Lean Certification Competencies and Behavior Model gives a more in-depth look and is intended to help identify the minimum competencies and behavior expectations in your pursuit of a specific level of Lean Certification. Review the model below for additional clarification.
Lean Competency and Behavior Model
Is your company or educational institution looking to certify multiple individuals?
Call SME Customer Care at 800.733.4763 or 313.425.3000
Online Inquiry Form
“I have personally trained over 100 internal lean practitioners for a prominent Fortune 100 company. They all passed their Lean Bronze exam and, together, have delivered several million dollars of cost savings for their global organization.”
Jeff Fuchs, LBC
President, Neovista Consulting, LLC