Lean Bronze Certification
Learn the fundamentals of lean from a tactical perspective.
At the Lean Bronze Certification level, your education and training focuses on how to apply lean principles, concepts, and methods within a work cell, work group, or value stream. Earning your Lean Bronze Certification demonstrates your solid understanding of basic lean principles and tools, and your ability in tactical implementation that drives improvement and shows measurable results.
You’ll study and learn lean from these key modules from the Lean Certification Body of Knowledge (PDF):
- Module 1: Cultural Enablers (15%)
- Module 2: Continuous Process Improvement (60%)
- Module 3: Consistent Lean Enterprise Culture (10%)
- Module 4: Business Results (15%)
Step 1: Assess your knowledge and experience
To earn the Lean Bronze Certification, you must demonstrate your understanding of the Lean Certification Body of Knowledge (PDF) by passing the Lean Bronze Certification exam, for which you’ll receive a Lean Knowledge Certificate. To become certified, you must further demonstrate your lean training and development by creating a lean portfolio (MS Word) of experience containing five tactical projects and activities.
You should also understand the basics of lean, including:
Cells, one piece flow
Continuous improvement (Kaizen)
Cost, productivity results
Customer demand pace (takt time)
Customer requirements, satisfaction
Distribution, logistics, delivery
Identifying value added/non-value added work
Lean product design
Load leveling/production leveling (Heijunka)
||Mistake proofing (Poka-yoke)
Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle (PDCA)
Problem solving (5 Whys)
Pull systems (Kanban)
Quick changeover, setup reduction
Root cause, corrective action
Total productive maintenance (TPM)
Value stream mapping
Visit sme.org/prepare for additional information and preparation resources.
Step 2: Read the core reference material
Exam questions are based on specific core reference material selected by knowledgeable and experienced individuals. You can save 10% by purchasing the Lean Bronze Certification book package, which includes:
Step 3: Evaluate your lean knowledge
These resources can help you assess and evaluate your lean knowledge before you take the exam:
- Online Self-Assessment: This online self-assessment evaluates your lean knowledge and identifies strengths and weaknesses to determine where further study is needed.
- Online Review Program: This online review program is comprised of eight classes mapped to the Body of Knowledge (PDF).
- Classroom Review Program: This collaborative, instructor-led review program helps solidify your understanding of the Body of Knowledge (PDF). It is an invaluable opportunity to prepare you for the exam and provide you with a foundation for completing the Lean Certification program.
- Lean Registry: A free online networking community and collaboration space to connect with other lean practitioners. It also includes upcoming events, blogs, and a growing lean glossary.
Step 4: Apply
The Lean Bronze Certification exam is offered in online and paper/pencil formats. You have one year in which to take the exam from the date of purchase.
Click here to apply
Step 5: Take the exam
The Lean Bronze Certification exam is a three hour, open book and open notes exam. It consists of 165 multiple-choice questions mapped to the Body of Knowledge (PDF). Exam questions are taken from the core reference materials. You must submit your Proctor Form and Agreement (PDF) to SME at least two weeks before your scheduled exam date. You can find exam preparation tips at sme.org/prepare.
To pass the exam, you need to score 75% or higher. After your exam is scored, you will receive official results by mail, which includes an Examination Analysis Report (PDF) that provides a breakdown of your results by knowledge area.
Step 6: Receive the Lean Knowledge Certificate
Upon passing the exam you will earn your Lean Knowledge Certificate (not a certification) that serves as a base in your pursuit of Lean Bronze Certification. Your knowledge certificate is valid for three years and is not renewable.
Step 7: Submit your Lean Bronze Certification portfolio
To earn your Lean Bronze Certification, you must demonstrate your ability to apply lean principles and tools. This is accomplished through the development of your Lean Bronze Certification portfolio. You have three years from receiving your Lean Knowledge Certificate to submit your portfolio, which must document and include:
- 80 hours of education and training requirements (PDF)
- Five tactical projects where specific lean principles and tools were applied (events, projects, activities)
- A reflection statement that captures your lean journey and what you have learned through the certification process.
Visit sme.org/prepare for the portfolio requirements and forms (MS Word) , portfolio information and instructions (PDF), portfolio writing tips, and additional resources.
Step 8: Plan your next step
Upon passing your portfolio review you will earn your Lean Bronze Certification (LBC) which is valid for three years. During this time you may choose to pursue recertification or pursue the Lean Silver Certification. Your Lean Bronze Certification is valid for three years. During this time, you may choose to pursue recertification or the Lean Silver Certification.
Step 9: Mentoring (optional)
You may want to consider finding a mentor as you begin your lean journey. This is an informal relationship between you and someone with advanced lean knowledge and experience. Look to find a mentor within your own company, through the lean registry, Association for Manufacturing Excellence (AME) leaders in your area, or, if you are an SME member, your local chapter may be a source.
If you have question or need additional information email us, complete an online inquiry form, or call SME Customer Care at 800.733.4763 or 313.425.3000.