Preparing a proposal is the first important stage in developing a project. For SME to assess the merits of the idea and arrive at a publishing decision, it is recommended that your proposal include the following key elements:
- What job functions, titles, and/or industries does the content serve?
- Describe the problem, pain, or demand experienced by the market and how this is solved by the proposed project.
- What are some comparable titles in the market and what are their strengths and weaknesses? How will this project differ?
- What are the key features and advantages of this project? What are the proposed segments? Is there a table of contents?
- What is the projected length of the manuscript, number of illustrations, and in what format will they be prepared?
- What are the approximate submission dates for the first and final drafts?
- Please submit at least one sample chapter or video outline with your proposal and any other completed introductory material.
- Please include a suggested list of reviewers for the proposal with complete contact information. Please note that reviewers should be authorities in the field or fall within the target audience.