Certified Manufacturing Engineer (CMfgE) Certification
Show that you have the knowledge to make a difference in manufacturing! Earning your Certified Manufacturing Engineer (CMfgE) requires an investment of time and energy that will reap dividends throughout your career.
Explore earning your CMfgE certification if you already have advanced manufacturing engineering experience. This certification is perfect for you if you are in a leadership position or have supported manufacturing practices and processes at your organization. Earning your CMfgE requires a minimum of eight combined years of manufacturing-related education and work experience (a minimum of four years must be work experience). If you hold a CMfgT certification, you can qualify with seven combined years of manufacturing-related education and work experience.
- Mathematics, Applied and Engineering Science, and Materials
- Product/Process Design and Development
- Manufacturing Process Applications and Operation
- Production System and Equipment Design and Development
- Automated Systems and Control
- Quality and Continuous Improvement
- Manufacturing Management
- Personal Effectiveness
Assess and Prepare
Start your preparation by reviewing the Body of Knowledge (PDF), Competency Model (PDF), and recommended reading materials. Visit sme.org/prepare and read the Exam Preparation Tips for additional information and resources.
- Online Self-Assessment: This online self-assessment evaluates your knowledge and determines your strengths and weaknesses before you take the exam.
- Online Review Program: Although designed for the CMfgT exam, this review program is extremely beneficial for those preparing to take the CMfgE exam. Note that calculus, Taguchi, time value of money, and depreciation are not covered as they relate to the CMfgE exam.
- Classroom Review Program: This collaborative, instructor-led review program helps solidify your understanding of the Body of Knowledge (PDF) and key manufacturing concepts. It is a valuable opportunity to provide you with a foundation for completing the CMfgE.
The CMfgE exam is offered in online and paper/pencil formats. You have one year in which to take the exam from the date of purchase.
Schedule and Take
The CMfgE exam is a four hour, open book and open notes exam. It consists of 180 multiple-choice questions mapped to the Body of Knowledge (PDF). You must submit your Proctor Form and Agreement (PDF) to SME at least two weeks before your scheduled exam date.
Interpret your results
To pass the exam, you need to score 60% or higher. After your exam is scored, you will receive official results by mail, which includes an Examination Analysis Report (PDF) that provides a breakdown of your results by knowledge area. Use this analysis to make decisions about your future professional development.
If you passed your exam, congratulations, you are now certified as a CMfgE! Your certification is valid for three years. During this three-year period, you must document a minimum of 36 recertification credits to recertify. For more information on the recertification process visit sme.org/recertification.
If you did not pass the exam, you can apply to retake the exam 30 days after you receive your exam results. Use the Examination Analysis Report (PDF) to focus on weaker knowledge areas to help prepare you for retaking the exam. A reduced exam fee is offered for retaking the exam.
If you have questions or need additional information email us, complete an online inquiry form, or call SME Customer Care at 800.733.4763 or 313.425.3000.