QuickFlex® System from WTO Saves Money Up Front--and Over Time
The perfect combination: ER collet chuck and Quick Change system in one toolholder.
Charlotte, NC (October 2013)— In the past, acquiring live tooling after a major machine purchase has usually required a substantial additional investment—one that was often out of reach for companies that already stretched the budget to acquire the best possible machine tool. In today’s competitive marketplace (especially in the midst of a still sluggish economy) this additional investment can be far worse than uncomfortable: in fact it causes many companies to make decisions to procure tooling far less than complimentary to their new machine investment. That’s why, for leaders focused on conserving costs and improving productivity, WTO’s innovative new system can be a game-changer.
QuickFlex®, an innovative flexible tooling system for driven toolholders, greatly minimizes the initial out-of-pocket tooling costs. Plus, it dramatically reduces tool change time and provides greater long term flexibility.
“Providing an ER collet chuck and quick change system in one toolholder allows you to buy many fewer tools than you would have to otherwise,” says Anthony DeHart, director of sales & business development at WTO USA. “Best of all, this flexible system doesn’t compromise rigidity, performance, or accuracy, which is great news for high-precision contract manufacturers.”
QuickFlex® was officially introduced in 2012 and is now available for the North American market. It is a complete toolholder program available for the most turning centers using BMT style toolholders.
Specifically, DeHart says, the QuickFlex® base unit allows customers to clamp tools directly into the ER collet of the tool holder—no additional adaptor is necessary. If customers acquire additional types of tooling in the future, they can be easily be accommodated by using the QuickFlex® Adaptors, which are mounted directly into the base unit.
“The base unit comes in a straight (radial) or right angle (axial) configuration, which—combined with the wide range of adaptors available—covers virtually any machining process requirement, all in a single system,” DeHart explains. “This approach enables the company to incrementally invest in a full range of options with minimal initial capital requirements. It also accommodates the multiple setups and frequent changeovers that are required for the short manufacturing runs in today’s production environment.”
Here, DeHart shares seven specific benefits of WTO’s QuickFlex® system:
- QuickFlex® is comprehensive. The comprehensive QuickFlex® system covers a full range of different tool clamping adapter types and sizes.
- The system is extremely cost-effective. With a minimal initial investment, customers can get unprecedented use of traditional toolholders. Start by simply clamping the cutting tools directly into the toolholder using a standard ER collet. You don’t have to buy adaptors until they are needed.
- Set-up time is reduced. For all manufacturers, time is money. Set-up delays can seriously cut into productivity and reduce profit. QuickFlex® adaptors with cutting tools mounted can be pre-set, significantly reducing the tool change time.
- QuickFlex® delivers precision and performance. WTO has always set the benchmarks for driven tool technology with its inventions. With QuickFlex®, the company is once again breaking ground as it combines precision with high rigidity and safety.
1 – Toolholder
2 – QuickFlex®chuck
3 – Collet
4 – Collet nut
5 – QuickFlex® adapter
6 – One-hand wrench (patent-registered)
7 – Thread for QuickFlex® adapter and collet nut
8 – Short taper for radial centering and axial support of the QuickFlex® adapter
9 – Taper of the ER collet chuck
10 – Polygonal torque transmission for QuickFlex® adapter
11 – Radial bending support of the QuickFlex® adapter for high stiffness under load
- It incorporates user-friendly handling. Changing tools is quick and easy with WTO’s new one-hand wrench (patent-registered). Use the one-hand wrench holding the QuickFlex® spindle and tighten the large collet nut with a spanner wrench. The QuickFlex® adapters, which use a built in threaded nut, are tightened the same way.
- It’s also surprisingly flexible. While the QuickFlex® toolholder can be used without any of the adaptors, it’s easy to migrate to a quick change functional system. Once you introduce QuickFlex® adaptors, you’ll reduce tool change time even more dramatically. A cost effective complete quick starter kit includes three different adapters and a one-hand wrench set.
- QuickFlex® improves tool change handling. In the past, changing tools has been difficult, time-consuming, and in some cases risky. Not so with QuickFlex®. This system boasts quick, easy, and safe tool change handling with the new and one-hand wrench.
“With QuickFlex®, our goal was to develop a compact, simple, and safe quick change system for driven toolholders,” Karlheinz Jansen, Technical Director and member of management WTO GmbH concludes. “High cutting performance and long life have always been the benchmark of our Performance Series. Now, we’ve made those high-quality products even better!”
WTO, a privately held family enterprise, led by the second generation with headquarters in Ohlsbach, Germany. Specialized in the design and manufacture of precision tool holders since 1977, WTO has always set the benchmarks of driven tool technology with innovation and new product developments. The company maintains a strategic advantage by limiting its focus to driven tool holders.
Offices in Charlotte, NC are dedicated to customer service and support for the North American markets. An in-house service center provides both preventative maintenance and complete rebuilds to exacting factory standards.
All WTO products are made in Germany and include:
- Precision static and driven toolholders / Performance Series® / QuickFlex® Series
- Gear hobbing units for CNC Lathes
- Thread whirling units for Swiss Type turning centers
Published Date : 10/24/2013